We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Every summer resident or gardener tries to allocate the best place on his site for planting strawberries (garden strawberries), because both children and adults are looking forward to the appearance of this berry. After all, fragrant and tasty homemade strawberries are incomparable with those that you can buy in the market or in a store. When choosing garden strawberries for planting, gardeners prefer unpretentious, fruitful varieties with good taste and early ripening. One of the best options among the existing ones is the Elsanta variety. After all, it is not for nothing that since its inception it has been considered a kind of standard of yield and taste, an indicator of quality.
Strawberry cultivation history Elsanta
The Elsanta strawberry variety was bred in 1981 in Holland. It appeared as a result of crossing Gorella and Holiday varieties. The variety has established itself so well that it is still one of the main industrial varieties in many European countries, occupying one of the main places in terms of cultivation and sale areas.
European growers prefer to grow Elsanta strawberries on an industrial scale
In 2007, the Elsanta variety was included in the State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation and recommended for cultivation in the Volgo-Vyatka, North Caucasian and West Siberian regions of Russia.
Description of the variety, its advantages and disadvantages
In terms of ripening, the variety is medium early. Here are its main characteristics:
- erect bush, strongly leafy, of medium height and spreading;
- peduncles are thick, located on the same level with the leaves, the number on the bush is up to 5 pieces;
- inflorescences are semi-spreading, multi-flowered;
- berries of the correct rounded-conical shape, bright red with yellowish seed blotches and bright shine; the first fruits may have light-colored tips;
- the size of the berries is mainly medium and large, the weight can reach 45 g;
- the pulp is scarlet, dense, juicy, has a sweet taste with a slightly noticeable sourness;
- a delicate strawberry aroma is pronounced;
- the yield is high - up to 1.5 kg of berries per season can be harvested from one strawberry bush and up to 74 centners per hectare of strawberry plantings.
The Elsanta strawberry has gained its incredible popularity due to its excellent taste, beautiful berry shape and high yield.
Advantages of the variety, due to which gardeners and summer residents prefer Elsante:
- versatility of cultivation - the variety is adapted to the conditions of open ground, as well as film tunnels and greenhouses;
- the formation of a small number of outlets and mustaches;
- dense, but not tough pulp - allows you to store berries for a long time compared to other varieties, without difficulty transporting the crop;
- dessert taste of berries;
- easy detachment of the peduncle;
- high resistance to viral diseases, fungal spots, gray mold;
- good winter hardiness;
- unpretentious care.
A significant disadvantage of the variety is its high demand for soil moisture.
Video: Elsanta is a sweet strawberry variety
Reviews of gardeners
Features of planting and cultivation of the Elsanta strawberry variety
It is important to choose the right place for planting strawberries.
Site selection and preparation
Choose a sunny, wind-protected area with little shade. The soil should be light, water-absorbing, breathable. The best option would be neutral or slightly acidic loam. It is better to plant garden strawberries after carrots, parsley, dill, lettuce, beets, radishes, peas, onions, tulips, marigolds, daffodils. Fertilizers are embedded under the predecessor crops. If the site is fallow, then fertilizers are applied at least two months before the strawberries are planted.
Seedlings of garden strawberries of the Elsanta variety are best purchased in specialized stores for gardeners.
Experienced gardeners recommend autumn planting for the Elsanta variety, claiming that when planting in spring, strawberries give smaller fruits. The optimal time for planting seedlings is September or early October. The best time is the evening of a cloudy day.
- Before planting, it is recommended to keep the seedlings for 10 minutes in a solution of potassium permanganate, and then rinse the roots with running water.
- For planting this variety, it is preferable to choose a one-line scheme with a distance between rows of 60–80 cm, and between plants in a row - at least 25 cm. You can also use the two-line ribbon planting method. In this case, you should adhere to the 80 × 40 × 25 scheme.
For planting Elsanta strawberries, you can use a one-line or two-line planting scheme
- Prepared holes must be thoroughly watered.
- When planting, the bush must be positioned so that the apical bud is at ground level.
- The soil around the planted plant should be tamped down and watered again.
If the cultivation technique is followed, then the fruiting of the bush begins the next year after planting.
Top dressing and care
It has been experimentally established that this variety does not require constant feeding. If fertilization is not applied in the first season, then the berry grows endurance and resistance to the vagaries of the weather and other problems. It is recommended to apply fertilizers only in the spring, in the third year of the plant's life, when the plantings are used for the last time and will be removed in the fall.
The variety has a poor response to direct fertilization.
The cultivar requires minimal attention during the season. The following sequence of procedures is mandatory:
- Shallow loosening of the soil (every 2 weeks).
Optimal time for loosening strawberries after rain, as well as when a lot of weeds appear
- Mustache removal (every two weeks). It is not recommended to remove the mustache more often than the indicated time, since in this case the plant will be stimulated to form new outlets. The mustache must be removed with a sharp instrument.
The mustache should be removed as needed throughout the growing season.
- Removing some of the old leaves. It is carried out in the spring, as well as after the end of the fruiting period.
Usually, strawberries are cut in early August, so that the plant has time to overgrow with new young leaves before winter.
- Watering. Elsanta is a moisture-loving variety, so the ridges must be kept moist. The root system of the plant is located at a depth of 25–30 cm from the surface. Drying out of the top layer of the soil has a bad effect on the productivity of the plant, its growth and development: the setting of fruits worsens, the berries are poorly poured, the fruit buds of the future harvest do not lay.
In the southern regions, as well as during periods of drought and high temperatures, the best watering option for this variety is drip
- Mulching plantings with compost, dry grass, peat or humus.
Mulching strawberries (garden strawberries) is a reliable way to protect the harvest of delicious berries from diseases, pests, dirt and weeds
- Shelter for the winter. The variety is considered winter hardy. In the presence of snow cover, the plants can easily tolerate temperatures as low as –35 ° C. Without snow, the aboveground part of the plant and the root system can be damaged at –10 ° C. Strawberry shelter is recommended after the first frost. This will allow the plant to harden.
Dried grass is a good hiding place.
If the plantings are renewed every 3-4 years, then the strawberry yield will be maximized.
Elsanta strawberry diseases and their prevention
The most vulnerable part of the plant is the root system, which can be affected by rot and fungal diseases. That's why:
- the roots of seedlings are disinfected before planting,
- they try not to overmoisten the land on the ridges,
- do not fertilize the planting, so as not to provoke the reproduction of parasites.
The aerial part of the plant can be affected by powdery mildew, late blight wilting, but not more often than other common varieties of garden strawberries. To prevent the onset of diseases and parasites, simple preventive measures must be followed:
- remove old leaves regularly;
- in case of detection of diseased plants, immediately destroy them;
- follow the rules of crop rotation;
- weed regularly, mulch the planting.
If you are faced with the question of choosing a garden strawberry, then it is worth considering the Elsanta variety. Sweet, fragrant, graceful fruits, excellent productivity, unpretentious care - an almost impeccable standard variety of garden strawberries!
My name is Ludmila. Higher education, graduated from the Minsk Institute of Culture. I live in Belarus.
Rate the article:
(0 votes, average: 0 out of 5)
Share with your friends!